Monday, October 20, 2008

Young Minds, Fast Times

In response to "Young Minds, Fast Times: The Twenty-First-Century Digital Learner". This article is great! The writer is very educated on how the schooling system works at every level, from the early years of kindergarten all the way to a masters degree at a university.  Students are "herded into classrooms" and told what to and how to do it - and tested on it.  But in reality that is not really how it should be.  The writer uses a great example of the corporate business world. Business' do it right, they invest millions of dollars into their company personnel to find out what customer's really want and how to satisfy them, that is true education.

Education is becoming a premeditated lifestyle.  A large percentage of students are being put through schooling systems doing "work" that elders believe is effective and educational, but allowing the students no input on their own education. I know that personally I learn a lot more effectively and efficiently than I do based on others agenda's.  I think that educational systems should seek out a new path of learning with a more hands-on, more involving method of education.  I think that this way, students will be more apt to want to learn and do well in school. 

Engaging students into classroom criteria has potential to be a simple fix.  Many teachers use the "innovative Power Point" with all of the cool backgrounds and such, but it is just as lame as writing on a chalkboard, just using electricity. I'm trying to think back at a few of my 100 level classes, and how many students either a.) did not show up to class or b.) slept for approximately 90% of the class due to boredom.  This is a prime example of bad teaching.

No comments: